The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints has had a presence at Temple View since the early 1950’s. The settlement is home to the Church’s most important temple in New Zealand . The Church College of New Zealand (CCNZ) campus provided education and board for up to 700 students from years 9 to13. In 2009 it was decided to close CCNZ and consideration was then given to alternative uses for the site that would preserve the vitality of Temple View.
The Temple View Project has set a benchmark for quality development, and has be awarded the New Zealand Planning Institute’s 2020 award for Best Practice – Integrated Planning and Investigations. Construkt in collaboration with Bloxam Burnett & Olliver and Mansergh Graham Landscape Architects applied a creative approach to the masterplanning of the site and achieved a seamless blending of the historic and the modern, the man made and the natural, all the while recognising and reinforcing the importance of this special character area.
Contemporaneously the church then embarked on a separate and bold programme for further development and revitalisation of their church campus alongside Walker Architects.
Temple View is just ten minute drive from Hamilton’s city centre so there was obvious potential to grow the community by attracting new residents – both church members and others, but first a plan change was needed to gain the right zoning for residential and commercial activity on the old school site. Comprehensive Development Plans (CDP’s) were prepared in two sectors to allow staged development and resource consents applied for. Both have been granted and the Church is now seeking development partners to execute the project.